Sunday, April 26, 2009

Winter in Yellowstone---Wait, It's Almost May????

Our ride through Yellowstone Park rivals our ride following David through Manhattan. It was snowing when we entered the north entrance to the park (from Gardiner, Montana) and we knew we had at least 80 miles to go to get to our destination at the West Yellowstone Worldmark. The good news is the scenery was beyond spectacular and we have never seen so much wildlife up close and personal. The bad news is that it just kept snowing and snowing, never really letting up all through the park and as we climbed higher and higher (up to 7200 ft) , the temperature kept dropping lower and lower (down to 27 degrees) As I looked at the slush and puddles in some places, I knew they would be ice in a couple of hours and I was so grateful that we had left Sheridan early. In some places as we climbed the road was completely covered with snow pack---I was glad Craig was driving. The good news is there were no big motor homes slowing down the traffic, the bad news is there was hardly anybody around and if we did slide off the road we would be on our own. The ride through the park really was frightening, but we did see the biggest buffalo I have ever seen so close that I had to close the car window quickly. We saw a couple of others and then just before leaving the park we saw a couple of very young buffaloes scratching and licking a pole in the road. We saw a whole herd of elk close to the road and one was actually swimming in the creek in order to cross it. We saw some mountain sheep. (I'm sure if I wasn't so busy driving I would have even seen more animals.) It was quite a ride. Early in the day, we did make a quick stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument---where Custer's last stand took place. There were grave type markers scattered all over the mountain marking the spot where each of the men had died. It played a huge part in our country's history and seeing it and learning some of the details gave Craig and I much to think about. We are now all cozied up in a condo in a huge lodge in West Yellowstone. (And yes, we are a little crazy.)

No comments: