Craig at long last got to visit the very eastern tip of Long Island, the Montauk Lighthouse. It is the fourth oldest lighthouse in the United States, commissioned by George Washington and completed in 1796. It is located in a s

erene and quiet part of Long Island where the Long Island sound meets the Atlantic Ocean. Block Island, which can be seen just 17 miles off of Point Montauk, is also is just 13 miles southeast of Newport, Rhode Island!
As is evident fr

om the photo of Emily,
our GPS, we are definitely at "lands's end".
We drove through the beautiful Hamptons with their stately mansions,

enormous grounds and long driveways.
After leaving the lighthouse, we decided to see picturesque Sag Harbour, a fishi

ng village dating back to the 1700's.

We appreciated having David drive us around today and not having to deal with the New York traffic. There seems to be much diversity in the land here and he showed us New Rochelle, a town about ten minutes from his house where he likes to drive occasi

onally to enjoy the water and views. Here there are single homes with yards next to the water and then we drove just a few miles and everywhere I looked

I saw huge

apartment buildings. As we drove back tonight and I saw the lights in the apartment buildings, I couldn't help but wonder what life is like living in an apartment in New York City. (David seems to love it.)
1 comment:
Thank goodness Emily's speed was 0.0 or I would have been real worried! What a trip! David looks good and so does Grace ( and you guys, or course, look good, too).
Keep having fun!
Post a Comment