Friday, April 17, 2009

The Spectacular New England Coast

We just got back from a great dinner at Warren's Lobster House in Kittery, Maine. We are staying at a place in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and when we left for dinner, we thought we were going to a place in New Hampshire as the restaurant was only five minutes away. After going over a bridge, there we were in Maine to our big surprise---we just didn't know we were that far north yet. Today, I feel like I have been in school all day with all that I have learned and experienced not to mention how absolutely spectacularly beautiful the New England coast is. As we drove from Marblehead to Salem and then to Gloucester on Cape Ann and various little port towns along the way the scenery, houses, boats, etc. were wonderful, just exactly as one would imagine New England port towns to look like. We spent a good part of our day in Salem touring the House of Seven Gables and learning more about Nathaniel Hawthorne and visiting the house where he was born. Then we knew that a trip to Salem had to include a visit to the Salem Witch Museum which was most interesting and very informative. Salem really is a town that I think would like to be remembered more for its great shipping heritage than it's witch trials. One interesting fact that we learned was that none of those accused were ever burned to death---they were hanged instead! What a crazy time in our history. We loved seeing all the houses with the dates they were built displayed---some 1600's, some 1700's. At the top of Massachusetts, is beautiful Gloucester on Cape Ann. Craig and I aren't trying to look like twins, but these are our shirts from Cape Cod.

1 comment:

Aunt Fay said...

We've had many dinners at Warren's in Kittery! Where did you stay in Portsmouth? It would be fun if it had been my cousin's hotel. Now I am truly jealous!