We had a leisurely day going up the Florida coast on Route A1A enjoying the beauties and uniqueness of the little coastal towns along the way. We decided to make St. A
ugustine, Florida, our stop for the day.
One of the things it is well known for is the Fountain of Youth which Juan Ponce De Leon was searching for (in vain) when he arrived there in 1513. (It just wasn't what we had hoped for or needed). I so want
ed to find that fountain of youth!)
and I especially was fascinated by an old Spanish fort that was built in 1672, called the Castillo De San Marco. It even had a moat around it with a bridge leading to the large fort door. What was especially interesting was that it was built with a kind of shell cement. When I got close I could see thousands of tiny shells which made up all the walls. The town was very quaint and is the oldest continuously populated city in America and was established in 1565 by the Spanish explorers.
1 comment:
Fascinating! I think I would have liked the fort the best too. Such history!
Post a Comment